April 28, 2008

Web 2.0 CE - Week 7: Podcasting and Online Hosted Video

It was another fun week of the Web 2.0 CE course, as we learned about podcasting and online hosted video. Although I have subscribed to podcasts through iTunes before, I had never heard of Odeo. Odeo is really nice, as you can login from anywhere using any computer. I was surprised at how much they had to offer too! Podcasting definitely has a place in libraries. As demonstrated by podcasts at the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, podcasts are a great way to provide information to patrons. I've also noticed that some libraries feature popular health podcasts on their websites. Podcasting is great for people who are audio learners and for those who like to incorporate different media and technologies into their learning.

I have used YouTube a lot for personal reasons or for fun but hadn't spent too much time trying to find relevant library or health sciences videos. I will say that it can be a bit difficult to find serious and informative videos in these areas. For example, a search for 'librarians' brought up all kinds of results - including some not so appropriate videos. That being said, I did find some videos that seemed great. For example, I found one video called Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Management that could be helpful for nursing students. I also liked a series of public service announcements advocating the use of Medical Libraries / Medical Librarians, one of which is embedded below.

No comments: