March 20, 2008

Web 2.0 CE - Week 2: Wikis

This week, we learned about, created, and contributed to wikis. I created a wiki that was designed to help me communicate with the many College of Nursing Scholarly Project Groups I work with here at MSU. I therefore named it the MSU CON Scholarly Project Groups wiki. I wanted my wiki to be a place students could sign up to meet with me, get searching tips and resources on nursing theory, receive help for printing their posters, and provide feedback about their interactions with me and their experiences with the Scholarly Projects in general.

I added my blog and wiki to the MLA Web 2.0 CE course lists and also contributed content to Virginia Bender's Information Literacy for Health Sciences wiki. I also added the course wiki and blog lists to my blog.

There are several differences between a blog and a wiki. A blog is ideal for posting news or noteworthy items. Wikis are ideal for group collaboration. While the content in blogs tends to remain constant (besides the addition of new items), the content in wikis can constantly be rearranged and changed. Blogs are usually from the viewpoint of one person or group. Wikis encourage many different people to contribute their ideas and expertise.

We currently use several wikis at the MSU Libraries. We have a training wiki that librarians can contribute to in order to help new librarians learn the ropes. We also will soon be putting our Bibliographer manual into a wiki format so people with certain areas of expertise can contribute and keep it current. This will also be helpful for new librarians.

No comments: